SCHOOL OF MIDWIFERY
The Post Basic Midwifery Curriculum for Nigeria is designed specifically to prepare a professional category of healthcare providers who through comprehensive education are able to mobilize individuals, families and the community towards achieving optimal health.
At the end of the programme, the student should be able to:
- Assess the health needs of the community with special reference to the basic needs of the individuals/families.
- Utilize the Nursing process in providing comprehensive Nursing/Midwifery services to individuals and groups in the community and all healthcare settings.
- Manage minor disorders during ante-natal, labour and post-natal periods of the child bearing cycle.
- Function independently and in collaboration with other members of the health team, intersectoral team and Traditional Birth Attendants (TBAs) to provide comprehensive maternal and child health services.
- Practice and maintain safe and clean delivery services.
- Supervise the clinical experience of student midwives and other community health workers.
- Effectively organize and manage clinics to achieve the goals of health maintenance by utilizing human and material resources.
- Sensitize, mobilize and educate individuals, families and groups in order to effect change in the reproductive pattern of the community.
- Utilize the knowledge and skill of information, education and communication in improving reproductive healthcare services.
- Prescribe and administer family planning devices.
- Monitor the effects of family planning services in individuals and the community
- Identify and refer high risk clients to other members of the health team for specialized care.
- Initiate and conduct research in reproductive health issues.
Candidates for admission into the Post Basic Midwifery programme must be registered nurses with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (N&MCN) and posses a current practising licence. In addition, candidates must possess the Senior Secondary School Certificate with at least five subjects.